Shish Taouk is one of the most delicious types of chicken kebab. The name indicates its Turkish origins (Tavuk şiş) however it is a popular chicken roast dish in almost every Middle Eastern country, back in Lebanon, Shish Taouk can be found in most fast-food restaurants. It is usually ordered as a sandwich of grilled chicken wrapped in “pita” bread with some Lebanese garlic sauce, some salty pickles, and potatoes, or with lettuce/mayonnaise. It can also be served in a plate alongside rice and grilled vegetables.
Shish Taouk in its basic form is just a grilled chicken breast, but the secret lies in the shish tawook marinade. I have made the Lebanese, Syrian, and Turkish Shish Tawook, etc … at home and restaurants almost all of my life, and despite the many ways of making shish tawook and the common flavors of garlic and lemon that are shared the Lebanese way, the spices and flavors may differ a lot. Here is how to make shish tawook, like restaurants, with all the details.
Fast Shish Taook
|Preparation time||Ten minutes|
|Cooking time||Ten minutes|
- Bring a medium bowl and marinate the chicken with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper and garlic for at least two hours.
- Heat an oven grill or an electric grill, then grill the chicken for a period of one to two minutes on each side, then serve it with bread and pickles.
Lebanese Shish Taouk
|Preparation time||Fifteen minutes|
|Cooking time||Eighteen minutes|
- Bring a deep mixing bowl, put the chicken breasts and mix them with fresh lemon, garlic, yogurt, olive oil, vinegar, white pepper, thyme, paprika, salt, and tomato paste and mix them well, then soak the chicken with the marinade to a storage bowl and leave it in the refrigerator for four hours on the least.
- Place chicken on wooden sticks or skewers with shredded vegetables, mushrooms, onions, and cherry tomatoes, then roast it on an electric grill or in the oven over a medium temperature (180 ° C) for a period of twelve to eighteen minutes.
- Put the shish in a saucepan, close it tightly and leave it warm to rest for a period of eight to ten minutes, then serve it.
Grilled Shish Tawook With Garlic Sauce
|Preparation time||Ten minutes|
|Cooking time||Thirty-five minutes|
- Cut the chicken into medium-sized cubes.
- Bring a deep mixing plate and mix the marinade ingredients together using the mesh mixer.
- Put the chicken in the marinade and stir it well, then cover the bowl and keep the chicken with the marinade for several hours or overnight until the seasoning is absorbed.
- Bring a wide baking tray and put parchment paper at the bottom of the tray.
- Roll the shish tawook and the vegetables on wooden or metal skewers, then place them on the tray, then wipe or spray them with an olive oil spray.
- Heat the grill to the highest degree, then grill the chicken for twenty minutes, taking care to turn the skewers to ensure all sides are browned.
- Bring a small saucepan and put the water and starch in the saucepan, then heat the pot over low heat while constantly stirring the starch in the water so that it dissolves well by means of the net beater, then pouring the dissolved starch into a large bowl and leaving it slightly to cool.
- Put the warm starch in the mixer with garlic and salt, then start the mixer by adding the oilseed oil to the thread in the form of a thin thread during mixing until the mixture becomes cohesive and the oil begins to appear on the surface, then add the lemon salt to the garlic and continue mixing until white garlic has a consistency similar to The texture of egg mayonnaise.
- Put the garlic in a glass container and leave it for about an hour in the refrigerator until it cools, then serve it.
Preparing the marinade mixture:
Preparing the garlic sauce:
Best 4 Shish Taouk Recipes
Shish Tawook With Rice
Shish Tawook ingredients
Place a piece of charcoal on medium heat until it becomes embered.
Chop the chicken into small cubes.
Put the chicken in a deep dish and add the milk, onion, ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper and stir until the chicken pieces are completely covered with the mixture.
Leave the chicken for a quarter of an hour to soak the taste of spices.
Put the chicken in a large frying pan with the marinating mixture over medium heat and fry the chicken pieces until they are completely dry and soft.
Preparing the rice:
Wash the rice several times and then soak it for thirty minutes.
Put saffron and rose water in a small cup and set it aside for a while.
Put an abundant amount of water in a deep saucepan, add salt, cardamom, and one tablespoon of corn oil, and put it on medium heat to bring the water to a vigorous boil.
Filter the rice and put it on the water and leave it to cook for nine minutes until the grains are opened, but half flat, and then filtered again.
Put half the oil and half the saffron mixture in a medium saucepan over medium heat, then add the rice and distribute the rest of the oil and saffron over it without moving the ingredients.
Spread the chicken pieces on the surface of the rice.
Put a piece of aluminum foil containing a little oil in the center of the chicken, then put the carbuncle and leave it for several seconds for the smoke to rise, then cover the pot.
Put the pot on very low heat for thirty minutes, until it is completely cracked.
Pour the rice and chicken into a large serving dish, spread sumac and coriander on top and serve hot.