Okra is one of the most popular types of vegetables used in cooking. It can be prepared in different ways, knowing that it is famous in the Arab countries, such as the Levant, Egypt and others, and it can be cooked with meat or chicken, and served as a main or side dish, and in this recipe, we will talk about the different ways to make okra with meat.
General benefits of okra
Okra is one of the rich sources of nutrients; Such as: vitamin C, which helps support immune system functions, and vitamin K, which helps blood clot, in addition to many antioxidants that reduce the risk of damage caused by free radicals. Examples of antioxidants are: vitamin A, and polyphenols; Including flavonoids.
Okra contains a small amount of calories and carbohydrates, in addition to fiber that contributes to weight loss. Because of its effect on reducing appetite, okra is distinguished from many fruits and vegetables in that it contains protein that helps control weight, blood sugar, bone structure, and muscle mass.
Okra drying methods
Okra can be dried in several ways, including the following:
Drying okra by boiling the okra:
- Fill a pot with water halfway, put it on the fire and leave it to boil.
- Wash the okra well, then fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Add a small amount of okra to the boiling water and let it boil for four minutes.
- Take the okra out of the boiling water and add it to the bowl of ice water to cool it down.
- Remove the okra from the bowl of ice water and place it on any dry towel and allow it to dry.
- Cut the okra into slices and put it in a tray to complete the drying process, and leave it for about 8-10 hours, at a temperature of 57 degrees Celsius, until it becomes completely dry.
General tips for drying and storing okra
- There are a number of tips to follow when drying or storing okra, and they are as follows:
- The shelf life of dried okra is 6-12 months, so it is recommended to throw away dried okra if any odors or signs of mold appear on it.
- Soak the okra in hot water or add it directly into the stockpot; To restore its freshness when used again after drying and storing.
- Drying a large quantity of okra; To store a large quantity of dried okra, as the drying process reduces its size a lot.
Similar Recipe: Tabakh Roho (Syrian Lamb And Vegetable Stew)
Okra Tray With Meat Stew
Heat the oil in a pot on the stove, add the onion, and stir until it wilts.
Season onions with salt, black pepper, curry, safflower and ginger.
Add the potatoes, okra and tomato juice, and stir the ingredients until they overlap each other.
Pour two cups of meat broth over the mixture, and leave it on the fire until the ingredients are cooked.
Spread the okra mixture in an oven tray.
Put the tray into the oven until the ingredients are browned.
Heat a little oil in a frying pan, and put garlic until softened.
Add the rest of the meat broth to the garlic, and leave the mixture on the fire until it boils.
Put a little oil in another pot, and put it on the fire.
Put the squares of meat in the pot, flavor with pepper and salt, and stir until cooked.
Remove the tray from the oven, pour the garlic mixture on it, spread the meat on its surface, then serve.- It is preferable to serve a plate of rice and vermicelli alongside okra. - You can put a little lemon juice on the okra when serving.