Maqluba can be made in simple steps, and it is distinguished by its delicious taste as it contains vegetables and protein, and therefore it is considered one of the healthy dishes.
Maqluba is a delicious dish that is loved by many Arabs, and it can be made in many different ways and additives, and it does not need a long time to prepare it.
It is a famous and widespread dish in the Levant and Turkey, and it consists mainly of rice with fried vegetables, and it may be eggplant, flower, potato or green beans, and a mixture of vegetables can be made in the same dish, and lamb or chicken is also placed with it, but it is often cooked with Chicken, usually served with yogurt or an Arabic salad consisting of tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, lettuce and sour lemon juice.
We will present the history of the maklouba, and the method of preparing the Syrian maqlouba.
The history of The Maqluba and the reason for naming
The Maqluba eaters have been known in Jordan, Palestine and Lebanon since ancient times, and they were called in the eggplant leg, because of the use of eggplant in it as an essential ingredient, and when the conquest of the city of Jerusalem came at the hands of the Muslim conqueror Salah al-Din al-Ayyubi, so that he and his soldiers entered the holy city, so people celebrated this The great victory and they offered food to Saladin and his soldiers, so they served him the eggplant, and he liked it a lot, so when he asked about its name, he described it as the upside-down dish, so that the dish was turned over in the serving dishes, hence the name it was upside down.
How to make a maklouba with chicken
Meat can be substituted with chicken to make maqlouba with another taste, as follows:
- Wash the chicken well, slice it, and place it in a saucepan containing a little oil, turning on both sides until it is slightly brown.
- Add 2 chopped onions to the chicken and continue to saute them together until the onions are tender.
- Add cinnamon, turmeric, salt, pepper, and bay leaves to the previous mixture.
- Put an appropriate amount of water into the mixture and leave it on a low heat until it becomes soft.
- Wash the eggplant well and cut it into slices, then add salt to it and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Bring a frying pan and put the abundant oil in it, then fry the eggplant, and lift it on a kitchen paper so that the oil gets rid of.
- Roast potato slices in eggplant oil, but do not let them turn golden, then remove them from the heat and place them on kitchen paper.
- Place the sliced onion in the same oil, roast it, and remove from the heat and remove the oil.
- Wash the rice well and soak it in water for 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse it well so that it is ready to use.
- Put a little oil in a large saucepan, then add the eggplant slices and potatoes, and on top of the chicken slices, then another layer of eggplant.
- Lay the rice layer on top, and gradually add the chicken soup or chicken broth so that it covers the rice and leaves it to soften.
- Remove the inverted meal from the heat after it is done, and turn it over on a suitable serving tray.
The Syrian maqlouba with minced meat
There is another recipe for preparing the Syrian maqlouba with minced meat, and it is as follows:
Here is how to prepare the Syrian maqlouba with minced meat:
- Put abundant oil in a frying pan on the stove and fry the eggplant in it, then remove it from the heat and place it in kitchen paper to filter it out of the oil.
- Bring a pot and put the butter in it until it melts, then add onions to it and saute it until soft.
- Put the minced meat on the onion, then add the spices, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Reduce the heat to simmer the meat.
- Bring a large pot and put the meat in it, then add a layer of eggplant to it, then add another layer of meat, then put a layer of basmati rice.
- Add the meat broth to a saucepan and bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and cover the saucepan until it is done.
- Get a serving tray and turn the upside down in it, and decorate with the roasted nuts and pine nuts.
Tips for making healthy maklouba
You can make the maklouba healthy with some tips, namely:
- Well filter the vegetables from the oil after frying: whether eggplant, potatoes or onions; Because they absorb the oil in large quantities, and eggplant can be put in the oven instead of frying it with oil.
- Choosing lean meat: Meat is a protein-rich and health food, but it must be free of fat.
- Replacing vegetable oil with olive oil: to be less harmful, as olive oil is one of the healthy fats, and it is not necessary to use a large amount for frying eggplant.
- Use brown or basmati rice: instead of rice made with white flour, because brown flour is healthier than white and does not cause significant weight gain.
Learn How To Prepare Maqluba In Chicken Or Meat
Here is the Ingredients of the most popular types of maqlouba, which is Maqlouba with meat
And now prepare Maqlouba with Meat in simple steps as follows:
Wash the eggplant well and cut it into slices, sprinkle it with salt and leave it for 15 minutes.
Bring a pot and put it on the stove, then put a little vegetable oil in it for two minutes, add the pieces of meat to it and leave it until it changes color.
Add 2 chopped onions to the meat while continuing to stir. Add spices to the saucepan that include cardamom, cinnamon, turmeric, salt, pepper, and bay leaves.
Add water to the previous mixture, and leave it on medium heat until fully cooked.
Put copious oil in a frying pan, fry the eggplant, and then place it on kitchen paper to rid it of the oil as much as possible.
Put the potato slices in the same oil to saute them until they are half-fried, then remove them from the heat and drain from the oil.
Place the sliced onion in the same oil, stir until golden, and remove from heat, then strain.
Soak the washed rice in water for 10 minutes, then strain it.
Bring a cooking pot and put two tablespoons of oil in it, then stack the eggplant slices in it side by side, then place the potato slices on top.
Lay the onion slices on top of the potatoes, then place the ripe pieces of meat.
Put another layer of eggplant on top of the meat. Place the rice on the last layer.
Add the meat broth that you boiled in to the previous mixture. Meat broth and water can be added if needed.
Be careful to add the broth gradually so as not to spoil the layers of the maqloula.
Leave the maqlouba on medium heat until soft.
Once done, bring a large serving tray and carefully turn the inverted portion into it.
You can roast pine nuts and add them on top to decorate the upside down.
Serving Size 100g
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 243
- % Daily Value *
- Total Carbohydrate 6.51g3%
- Protein 1.88g4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.