Lentil soup is one of the most cooked soups in our homes. It is a delicious soup that is indispensable especially in winter days and cooked once a week in our kitchens. Everyone loves it especially with a lemon next to it…
There are many different varieties of lentil soup, there are also pressure cookers, strained lentils, and you can check out all our lentil soup recipes. It is cooked in different ways at our house, and I want to share this recipe, one of my favorites.
In this recipe, onions, flour, tomato paste are roasted well beforehand and the soup is left to cook by adding other ingredients.
Those who do not like flour can use a potato instead, flour and potatoes will make the consistency of the soup thicker.
I use bone broth or chicken stock in almost any soup. I can say that I have never made soup using only water, especially after my son was born. It is both delicious and nutritious. Now let’s come to the making of lentil soup
Also read: Kishk Soup With Potatoes And Garlic
What are the tricks of lentil soup?
- I recommend washing the lentils well with plenty of water. Wash until clean water comes out.
- Adding chicken broth, broth or bone broth to your soup will increase its flavor even more. You can add up to 1-2 cups of water.
- I suggest you adjust the consistency of your soup according to your own taste. It can probably be a little thick with this recipe, add hot water and adjust the consistency as you want. Remember, your soup will thicken as it waits.
- If you like spicy, you can increase the amount of chili pepper.
- You can also choose potatoes instead of flour. You can also add the potatoes to the soup along with the carrots.
Turkish Lentil Soup (Mercimek Çorbası)
For the sauce:
For the red lentil soup, the oil is poured into the pan and the chopped onions are roasted until they turn slightly pink.
Add the flour and keep frying on low heat.
If tomato paste is to be used, tomato paste is added, after roasting, diced carrots and thoroughly washed and drained lentils are added.
Add water to it, mix it and close the lid of the pot.
Our soup is cooked on medium heat until it boils, and after boiling, it is cooked on low heat, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and carrots become soften.
After the soup is cooked, crush it well with a hand blender. If you don't have a blender, you can also strain it.
Add black pepper, salt and optionally cumin and mix it. Cook for another 5 minutes and remove from the stove.
If the consistency is dark, add some water and boil it for a while.
In the meantime, take two tablespoons of butter in a small pan, heat it up and add a teaspoon of red pepper powder and take it off the stove.
After the lentil soup is taken into a serving bowl, red pepper sauce is poured over it and served with a slice of lemon.