Salted smoked Egyptian Renga herring fish is one of the most common salted foods among many people. Let’s get acquainted with it in some details in order to know its composition, and the correct way of making it.
Here are some facts regarding smoked Egyptian Renga herring fish
- Herring is a medium or small fish that joins the oily fish species.
- Herring lives in shallow or shallow waters in the Baltic Sea, Japan, the Mediterranean Sea, and the Atlantic Ocean.
- Japan and Britain were among the first countries to smoke and salt fish; In order to preserve it, without spoiling, for long periods.
- The smoked type is a type of herring that undergoes the process of salting and smoking. This is done by giving it a strong and distinctive flavour, without removing its guts.
- This type is different from other types of smoked fish; As the whole fish is salted, it is less salty.
- It is smoked for a short time, and the herring is slightly salted, and the smoking process takes place throughout the night.
Many people are afraid of eating salted and smoked fish for fear of causing them diseases, but in fact, doctors say that smoked herring is one of the best fish that provides the body with many benefits, especially when not overeating.
Herring fish contains a high percentage of vitamins and minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium and phosphorous, in addition to a high percentage of amino acids, omega-3 acids and a high percentage of antioxidants. Which helps protect the body from many diseases.
Might be interested in: Sayadiyeh with Rice
Here are the benefits and effects of smoked herring fish
smoked herring benefits
- An essential source for a healthy body; Thanks to its omega-3 content, it contains a very large percentage, exceeding the percentage found in salmon and tuna .
- It is also high in fat, as it is a fatty fish rich in acids.
- 85 g of herring meat contains 1.5 g of omega-3, which is a good percentage.
- Contains very little mercury; This is compared to swordfish, royal mackerel .
- It contains two important types of fatty acids, which are very beneficial for blood vessels and heart health.
- It is an important source of protein; This is thanks to its high fat content.
- It contains two very important acids: eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid.
- It is recommended to take two servings of fish throughout the week, with one serving being 99g of cooked fish.
Smoked herring fish effects
The Egyptian people are among the peoples in the world that consume the most salted and smoked fish, especially during the Sham El-Nessim festival. Very large quantities are consumed, and the following are the effects of excessive intake of smoked herring fish:
- It causes digestive problems; Because it contains bacteria during the storage process, especially salmonella bacteria.
- It increases blood pressure, which affects the blood vessels and heart; This is because it contains a very large amount of salt, and therefore, an increase in the proportion of sodium.
- stresses the liver; As it works to absorb toxins from food, and expel them out of the body, and herring contains a high percentage of these toxins.
- It may cause an allergic reaction to some people, such as some other types of fish and celery.
Smoked herring with potatoes
How to prepare
- Mix the onion, mustard, salt and lemon juice in a wide and deep bowl and set aside.
- Put the potatoes in a pot of water and put it on a medium heat and let it boil for twelve minutes,
- Take it out and let it cool a little, and cut it into medium cubes.
- Add the oil to the onion mixture and stir well.
- Add the potatoes and stir, then add the fish, parsley or coriander, stir well, and serve the dish directly.
Salted smoked Egyptian Renga herring fish
Fried smoked herring
Put the herring in a suitable saucepan and cover it with water and put it on medium heat until it boils for five minutes, then filter it and leave it aside until it cools a little, then cut it into small pieces and set it aside.
Heat the oil in a suitable pan, add the onions and stir until it becomes transparent and soft, then add the tomatoes, garlic, thyme, green pepper and stir for about a minute.
Add the fish and get rid of the liquids, stir and leave the mixture for five minutes, then add the lemon juice and green onions and stir, then remove the pan from the fire and serve the dish directly.